Self-assessment tax returns are a great way to manage your taxes, but you’ll need a good accountant to ensure everything is done correctly.
This guide will tell you how to find a self-assessment tax return accountant and what questions to ask when hiring one.
What Are the Benefits of Working With a Tax Accountant?
Working with a tax accountant can help you navigate the complexities of tax law and prepare your return to maximise your refund or reduce your liability. Tax accountants can also help you avoid common mistakes that might result in penalties or interest charges.
Here are some of the benefits of working with a tax accountant:
- Accurate Returns: Tax accountants have extensive training and experience preparing returns. They know how to find every deduction and credit available so they can file an accurate return that reduces your tax liability as much as possible. They also use software that helps them find deductions and credits you might have missed on previous returns.
- Help in Handling Audits: An experienced accountant will know exactly how to deal with each situation based on their knowledge of all relevant laws and regulations and their understanding of the best strategies for each type of audit.
- Provide Tax Planning Advice: Accountants can advise on ways to lower your tax liability, such as by adjusting the amount of income you earn in certain years or taking advantage of the credits and deductions available to you.
What to Look for When Choosing an Accountant
Tax season is a busy time for accountants. If you need to find one, here are some things to consider.
1. Do They Have the Right Qualifications?
Accountants with the right qualifications will give you peace of mind. They’ll know how to handle your taxes professionally, accurately, and on time. Qualifications vary, but most tax accountants have a bachelor’s degree in accounting or a related field.
They should also have passed the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) exam, which is administered by state boards of accountancy and requires extensive experience, education, and training.
2. Are They Experienced?
A tax accountant with experience will know how to handle your specific situation and give you the best advice for your needs. They’ll also be able to help you plan for future tax seasons and answer any questions you have about your taxes.
3. What Types of Clients Do They Service?
If you’re looking for an accountant specialising in your type of business, look for one with a wide range of experience. They should also be able to provide references from previous clients.
4. Do They Have an Online Presence?
An online presence is a great way to see how well-established an accountant is. You can also check out their website and social media pages to get a sense of their personality and the types of clients they attract.
5. What’s Their Fee Structure?
You should find out what your accountant’s fee structure is before you hire them. This will give you an idea of how much they charge for their services and how often you’ll have to pay them. Some accountants charge by the hour, while others charge a flat fee for certain services.
A self-assessment tax return accountant will help you manage all aspects of your taxes and ensure everything is done correctly. You should hire a professional to guide you through the process and ensure nothing is missed.
Never miss out on your taxes again—turn to YRF Accountants Ltd, an online accountant self-assessment service that can help you get the proper tax return. To find out more about our services, contact us now.